Thursday, January 14, 2010

How Can We Help Haiti?

I wanted to share some good news this morning, but felt so sad and depressed about Haiti. I watched horrible footage on the news. I was overwhelmed by the devastation.

My class adopted a child from Haiti at the beginning of school. We also participated in the Operation Christmas Child/Samaritan's Purse in December. So, we have studied a little about Haiti and some of the Christian relief efforts.

Many of us are not able to pack up and get on a flight to Haiti. However, we can PRAY for Haiti as well as all the rescue-relief people who are there. No matter if we are here or there...God is everywhere!

Here are some scriptures when in a time of need...

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (Psalm 46:1-3)

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. (Psalm 61:1-4)

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31)

Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord you God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. (Isaiah 43:1b-3a)

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11: 28-31)

***FYI...we have a contract on our house. We will be closing the second week in February. Please continue to pray the process goes smoothly and everything works out for us to close. Thanks so much!***

No comments:

Post a Comment