Saturday, January 9, 2010

Finances & Tithing

Richard and I recently signed up for a class called "Financial Peace University" by Dave Ramsey. It is facilitated by a church member. It is a 13 week class and we have already learned a lot within the first week. My dad took us to a "Total Money Makeover" conference several years ago and we got the basics of Dave Ramsey's finance theory, however the class is more in-depth.

We are very thankful we do not own any credit cards. We are also blessed we do not have monthly notes on our vehicles...thanks to dad who taught us there is nothing wrong with driving older cars.

However, we do have a problem with saving. We are guilty about spending our money on food, social events, clothes, and other items we feel like we need. We should have much more in savings than what we do. We are ready to change our old habits and learn how to save!

I remember when we first got married our house was so bare! I did not realize how much things cost until we were in a house without any furniture, groceries, and appliances. I just thought I would have everything my parents had once I had a house. Boy, I was wrong and I soon realized that it takes many years to have what my parents have established.

My favorite saying by Dave Ramsey is:
"Live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else!"

Changing Subjects....Tithing...

I mentioned in one of the earlier posts that tithing is difficult. I never really understood why there was a certain % which needs to be given to God. I just thought you give what you can give to the church. I never understood "giving with a joyful heart" either. Each time we give (or even when I was in school), it was so hard to place the check or cash into the offering plate. Why?

I realize it is because I have been selfish. I think of things that our tithes could buy. I will start praying daily that God will help me give out of love! Please pray for me in this area as it is difficult.

Here are many verses on tithing....

Genesis 14:18-20
v. 20 "Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything."

Leviticus 27:30
"A tithe of EVERYTHING from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, BELONGS to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord."

Numbers 18: 26
"...When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of hat tithe as the Lord's offering."

Deuteronomy 14:22
"Be sure to set aside a tenth of ALL that your fields produce each year."

**Malachi 3:7-12** This scripture is too long to type, but I really enjoyed reading it! It is about Malachi urging the people to stop holding back their tithes. Everything we have is from God; so when we refuse to return to him a part of what he has given, we rob him. (Life Application Study Bible, NIV)

More scriptures:
Matthew 23:23
Luke 11:42
Luke 18:12
I Corinthians 9:7
Hebrews 7:8

No comments:

Post a Comment