Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Am I staying close to God?

I read the question above in my devotion. It wasn't until I read the scripture that went along with the question that caught my attention. I felt nothing but pure G-U-I-L-T after reading the scripture.

"Remain in me, and I will reamin in you. No branch can bear fuit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fuit unless you remain in me....
v. 7-8...If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:4, 7-8

I try to do right. Lately, I have been so wrapped up in the beautiful weather and the busyness of life that I have not been focused on my walk with God. I get "giddy" with Summer just around the corner. I love to see the sun peeking through the clouds when I wake up. I love to hear the birds chirping. I want to dress fun and funky because this is my time of the year! (In the winter I like to hibernate. I do not feel like walking out the front door!)

I say all of this to tell you how off track I am and how my emotions and excitement take over in the mornings and in the afternoon....leaving no room for God. In the mornings, I piddle around looking for a cute outfit and cute jewelry....and even spend extra time looking for the right pair of shoes. Each day I desire to spend time with God, but lately I have pushed him away...always making those lousy promises that I will pray later or on the way to work. Or I will read my devotional when I get to work. It never works out! EVER...and I know that!

So, when I was read the question, "Am I staying close to God?", I knew my answer was NO. I am not staying close to God. I have not been faithful and prayerful. Yet, God always forgives me and lets me turn around and come right back to his loving, OPEN arms!

Jesus says that the only way to live a truly good life is to stay close to HIM, like a branch attached to the vine. Apart from Christ, our efforts are unfruitful. If we do not receive the nourishment and life offered by Christ, our vine, then we are missing a special gift he has for us! (NIV, Life Application Bible v. 5-8)


No comments:

Post a Comment