Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Run the Race....

This morning I read Hebrews Chapter 12. A few things came to mind as I was reading.

The year before last, I signed up to run a half marathon for St. Jude. I have always wanted to run a half marathon and 2008 was the year! I signed up and promised myself to train for the upcoming race.

I had good intentions, but I never trained like I was supposed to. I would run a couple of miles here and there. I did not watch my diet, which is beneficial in running long distance races. (It is best to lose weight prior to race day, so you are not carrying more weight.)

It was the day before race day and I got sick. I was running a fever and coughing. I did not listen to my body and ran the race anyway. After all, I paid for the race and I promised myself I would run. I completed the race in a decent time (considering that I did not train for it). However, my body sure paid for the price of 13.1 miles! My hips, ankles, legs, and every joint in my body was sore for days. I could barely walk!

I am sharing this story because most long distance runners build strength and endurance prior to race day. The runners try to get their bodies lean. They do not wear much clothing, even in 30 degree weather.

In Hebrews 12, we are to run the race God has set before us. "...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross." (12:1-2)

In order to run the race God has in store for us, we must get rid of excess baggage in our lives. Just like long distance runners...they must get rid of excess fat and heavy weight clothing.

Excess baggage will slow us down!

Some things I will examine in my life and get rid of:

1. FRIENDS: Choosing friends who are committed to run the race. Friends that share the same values. Ones that are involved in Christian activities and who can be an accountability partner.
2. ADDICTIONS: My addiction would be overeating. I am a "stress-eater" and I would like to change! This means changing what I buy at the store as well as watching what I put in my mouth.

I am sure I have much more baggage, but those are a couple I would like to focus on first.

Just like runners have to prepare to run the race...I must also do some prep work to run God's race....getting rid of excess baggage will be the first thing on my list.

I pray God will speak to me about all the areas in my life where I carry excess baggage.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right Chrissy! I have so much unnecessary baggage. One I need to concentrate on is making my body God's temple.

    ReplyDelete